About Julie Slumbers
- I am an integrative therapist who believes that we all have the ability to feel better if we are prepared to explore our inner world.
- This can be a difficult journey and requires a person to feel safe enough to express their thoughts and feelings in a space where they are not going to be judged.
- It is my task to provide the time and space necessary to make this possible whilst offering warm encouragement, acceptance and insight into what might have happened which has caused a person to feel unhappy, worried, confused or stuck.
As an integrative therapist I use a range of theories including, humanistic, psychodynamic, CBT, gestalt, Jung and TA. The benefit of having such a diverse and extensive range of theories means that I am able to blend these ideas in a way which helps me and my client understand how, when and why they have developed as they have and also offer a wider view of what is possible and useful in order to move forward.
My aim as a therapist is to help my client achieve their own goals by working through and accepting the events of their life and/or forgiving themselves for their perceived mistakes; sometimes we do not even know why we feel the way we do. As such I offer open-ended counselling. This does not mean a client will necessarily be working longer term; what it does mean is that it is the client’s choice as to how many sessions they would like.
I am also an experienced supervisor for individuals and groups. My supervision is focused on respecting the integrity of the counsellor/therapist and encouraging them to find the right way for them to work and best engage and facilitate their clients growth. I work with all modalities.
My training, work experience and any achievement
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Therapy
- Enhanced CRB certificate
- Previously I have worked as a counsellor for The Information Shop which offers counselling for people between 11-25 years old. Here I saw clients for long and short term work with a range of presenting issues.
- I have been supervising at the Information Shop for several years now in my role as Clinical Supervisor for two groups.
- I am also a Clinical Supervisor at Arun Counselling Centre, where the clients are adults with sometimes very complex mental health issues.
- I have also worked as a counsellor within a drink and drug agency, SASS, which offered time-limited therapy for clients at various stages of managing their addiction.
- In 2012/2013, I worked with the elderly at an NHS hospital treating patients with ongoing and terminal illness as well as recovery and rehabilitation.
- In my private practice I have considerable specialist experience working with BPD.
- If you are unsure whether counselling will be helpful for you I am happy to answer any questions or provide any information via email before deciding if you would like to book an initial appointment with me.
- The purpose of the first session is to decide if we think we will be able to work well together and in order to do this I carry out an assessment which involves asking for some background information as well as your current issues.
- This is an opportunity for you to ask anything about how counselling works or my way of working, as well as what to expect.
- At the end of the session you can either book another appointment or get back to me if you decide you would like to continue.
Other concerns & issues I deal with
Concerns & issues I deal with
- Alcohol Dependence
- Anger Management
- Bisexual Issues
- Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
- Childhood Issues
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Abuse
- Family Problems
- Gay Issues
- Internet Addiction
- Low Self Confidence
- Low Self Esteem
- Midlife Crisis
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Panic Attacks
- Personal Growth
- Personal Relationships
- Relationship Problems
- Repetitive Negative Patterns
- Same Sex Relationships
- Self Development
- Self Harm
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Addiction
- Social Phobia
- Stress Management
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Emotional Abuse
- Online Talk Therapy
Special Online Booking Offers
I offer a first session at a reduced fee of £30
Write a Review of The Counselling Practice
Thank you for writing your review for this practitioner. Your review will be helpful to other users in choosing a practitioner.
Your contact email address and telephone number will NOT be published. However, if requested we will pass your contact details to the practitioner in question.