About East Cheshire Counselling
I have an excellent track record for helping people to improve relationships, change behaviours and find a better and happier life. I offer you a warm and supportive ear, and have had much success with helping people to overcome their issues (please see the testimonials below). I’m committed and passionate about helping people to find a better life.
I am a specialist in working with relationship issues and couples, anger management, depression and bereavement; but I have a wealth of experience working with anxiety, self-esteem, career issues and stress - and I enjoy helping people to find meaning in their lives.
Many of my clients say that coming to sessions with me has helped them to discover who they really are and feel much comfortable about life. I like to help people remove the obstacles which are restricting them so that they can begin to make sense of their life.
I am fully accredited by the BACP - British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy - and abide by its ethical framework, and am fully ensured and CAB checked.
If something feels lacking in your life or is proving problematic, you do not need to carry on suffering alone in silence – I can help. Many of the clients that I see often say that they wish they had started therapy much earlier.
I work with both short and long term counselling - not only face-to-face but via Skype, telephone and email too. If you live some distance away from me but would like to work with me and see how it goes, skype and telephone can enable you to work with me more easily.
Here are some testimonials from my Clients:
"I looked at David’s details and thought for a while about coming. I’m glad that I did. I had been in a pretty bad way since the death of my wife and I needed some support but just wasn’t sure whether I was ready to be helped. I knew that I was as soon as I arrived. Throughout the sessions I came to realise that there were quite a few issues in my life which I had not been looking at and this had actually made me start to devalue myself. I did wonder what the point of it all was, but David reminded me about the good things and joyous moments I do have in life and enabled me to work through the pain of my loss. I feel great acceptance now and heartily recommend David’s services." (male client)
"I strongly recommend David. He immediately put me at ease when I have had very bad self-esteem issues for as long as I can remember. He is very calm and empathic and used quite a few techniques to help me. Actually, he ended up not only helping me but also my partner as he has seen the benefits of my increased confidence and peace of mind in our relationship. I now feel in control of my own life. Thanks David!" (female client)
"My husband was a bit sceptical about us going to counselling because he thought we could sort things out on our own, but we’d been struggling with things on our own for a long time as it was and I’d had enough of that. Our problems were mainly down to communication issues and we’d stopped valuing each other’s individual slant on things. I admit I’d stopped being tolerant of him. He felt himself nagged so withdrew. We had no fun anymore and intimacy was rare and unsatisfactory. David got us talking and more importantly listening again. He helped us unravel a few things that seemed pretty tangled and gave us renewed hope. We’ve pulled our marriage round now and I want to thank his for his hard work helping us with that." (couple)
“David helped me to change my life around in about ten sessions. I was feeling that life was without hope and at times I was so depressed that I hated myself and didn’t much want to go on. David is very accepting, caring and perceptive and he put me at ease and then helped me to build up my confidence. I didn’t really know why I was like I was, but David has this way of getting straight to the heart of problems. I’d never have believed that I could change, but I did it with his guidance. It feels a bit like a transformation now and I don’t think I’ve ever spent money in a better way than in going to see him. I actually feel bright about the future.” (male client)
"I have felt depressed on and off for many years. David helped me to get behind this and explore what was going on in my life - mainly anger and feelings of guilt. I feel in a better place to handle things from now on." (female client)
"After several years together, we had lost sight of our relationship and were struggling to communicate honestly. With David’s help, we were able to confront issues which we had been avoiding in a safe, non-judgemental environment, giving each of the opportunity to be heard and acknowledged. We now feel closer as a result and positive about our future together." (couple)
"I have suffered from angry outbursts all of my life. David helped me to work through the reasons for this, to accept myself and others and to start to change it." (male client)
"You listened to me very deeply and I always felt that you were with me when I told you my problems." (male client)
"We had stopped listening to and communicating with each other. Our relationship had come to a bad place and David helped us to remember why we fell in love with each other. After we had cleared the air, we started to appreciate each other again and remembered how to have some fun." (couple)
"David has enabled me to think about and analyse past issues and understand and accept them. I feel more positive about moving on with my life today." (male client)
"I had lots to deal with and you worked it through gently with me." (female client)
"I had tried counselling before, but it didn’t completely work for me or help me to solve my problems. Some recent session of CBT only seemed to scratch the surface and gave just short-term relief, but David’s approach really got down to the deep issue I had - which turned out to be a sense that my life was meaningless and empty. David helped me find some meaning and optimism and I would recommend him to anyone." (female client)
"I found you to be a very astute listener and a helpful facilitator of ideas. It’s really good to find a counsellor who can counsel men so thoughtfully and understands their problems." (male client)
"Our relationship has gone through a very sticky patch and we weren’t sure whether we wanted to split up or not. We decided to come and work with David to see whether there was a way we could get back on track and start having some fun again together. Things had got very closed off between us and David helped us to look at that and start to work through it. We now feel much closer and open and feel brighter about being together." (couple)
"I wanted to see a male counsellor and get his slant on things. David has a very empathic and warm way about him and this was exactly what I needed." (female client)
"David is very thoughtful and philosophical. I really enjoyed that because it’s very easy to go through life without considering things more deeply." (male client)
"When I lost my partner, I felt a huge mix of feelings which I was finding very hard to process and deal with. David helped me through my bereavement and was always a gentle and strong presence at a difficult time." (female client)
My practise has easy access from:
Alderley Edge, Alsager, Bramhall, Biddulph, Congleton, Crewe, Holmes Chapel, Kidsgrove, Knutsford, Leek, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Nantwich, Northwich, Prestbury, Sandbach, Stoke-on-Trent, Wilmslow and Winsford.
- My website is eastcheshirecounselling.com
- You can contact me on email@example.com
- You can find my Blog at: http://davidseddon.blogspot.com/
- I am on Twitter as Contented Counsellor at: https://twitter.com/#!/SeddonDavid
- I am on Facebook as: https://www.facebook.com/EastCheshireCounselling
About Me and My Counselling
- I work in the West Heath area of Congleton, Cheshire. My Practice offers a peaceful environment - a safe, calm, quiet and confidential place, which will allow you to explore and express your thoughts and feelings and move towards a feeling of wholeness. It is easy to park nearby and there are bus routes at the bottom of the road.
- My modality is person-centred, which means that you can talk about your life without fear of being either judged or told what to do, though I will help you with options so that you can make decisions and understand your inner processes.
- I also use existential counselling which means “exploring and embracing what it is to be human.” It involves looking at the philosophy of living better and working with the universal human issues and feelings of loss, isolation, freedom vs responsibility and finding meaning.
- I can offer narrative therapy and work with mindfulness, dreams, poetry, art and breathing.
- I will work collaboratively with you to find the right therapeutic approach which will most help your healing process - for instance I may use TA or Gestalt techniques when they suit.
If you want to move forwards in your relationship or are having issues and cannot resolve them, I can help. Maybe there has been a crisis in your relationship or perhaps you are questioning why you are still together. Coming to couples counselling can have many advantages, and whilst there are no easy answers, I can help you on in a number of areas:
• If your tolerance, compassion and understanding for each other has dwindled from what it once was, exploring things in counselling can help you to re-find it.
• If there are Conflicts which are drawing you apart, counselling may help to open them up and resolve them, bringing you closer together again.
• If you are finding it hard to communicate to each other without arguing, you will find that counselling will open up the channels so that you can do this. I have many techniques for helping you to communicate better with each other. One key thing is to really listen to each other – this function can become all but broken in a problematic relationship, but my couples clients tell me that I help them greatly with that. Listening to each other can mean: “seek first to understand, then to be understood”.
• Counselling can help to encourage acceptance. None of us are perfect and saints are thin on the ground. I have yet to meet one, though I live in hope. The only person in your partnership that you can change is you – but this applies to both of you! With help, we can learn to accept our partner’s edges.
• Couples will argue. Even the best of them. Counselling can help you formulate some rules about how to do this more productively and with greater respect for the other.
• Intimacy, sex and communication are closely linked and vital in a healthy relationship. If one suffers, they all tend to suffer, but by helping to sort one of those out we can also work on the others at the same time.
• Counselling can help you to reaffirm a commitment to each other and find a shared meaning, purpose, and vision for your life and your relationship.
• Playfulness. “Couples who play together, stay together.” Couples who are struggling have invariably lost the fun in their relationship. I can help you think about and work on that.
• Trust and respect are like two pillars that hold up love. If they are suffering in your relationship then it may require some deep discussion which is much more easily processed in counselling than on your own - the discussion can heal and move things on.
I offer daytime and evening appointments - and occasionally weekend ones by agreement.
My training, work experience and any achievement
- MA in Humanistic Counselling (Nottingham University)
- Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling (Nottingham University)
- BA with Hons in Philosophy (Liverpool University)
- PGCE (Durham University)
- I have experience of working with all age groups and with a variety of issues.
- As well as running my Private Practice, I also work for BUPA as a counsellor in Salford Quays.
- I have worked in a Counselling Agency in Derby, with companies and in my Private Practices both in Cheshire and Leicestershire.
I understand that it can be hard to decide to come to counselling for the first time, although perhaps you may have been considering it for quite a while. Maybe you feel that you need some support and someone to offer an impartial ear but are anxious about making the phone call or sending the email which means that you have to talk to another person about it. Most of us, perhaps particularly men, have been conditioned to think that we should be able to cope on our own and that asking for help shows a lack of strength. It can be good to offer yourself the kindness of time and space to start building a better life.
The benefits of good things that happen inside us and which we cannot show or physically touch are much deeper than the value of things we can see and touch - such as objects we can buy in the shops. Ironically we often take much less care over our own well-being than we do over possessions even though we know that it is our emotional and mental processes that truly make us happy and not the possessions. In that light, many clients tell me that coming to counselling was the most positive way they’ve ever spent money.
Other concerns & issues I deal with
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBACT) Accred
- Stress Management
- Couples Therapy
- Relationship Counselling
- Counselling: £45/session
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT): £45/session
- Psychotherapy: £45/session
- Stress Management: £45/session
Special Online Booking Offers
- I offer a free 20 minute face to face or telephone consultation so you can see whether you would like to work with me or not.
- You can take advantage of my 6 for 5 offer (pay upfront) which reduces the cost of individual or couples sessions.
Write a Review of David Seddon
Thank you for writing your review for this practitioner. Your review will be helpful to other users in choosing a practitioner.
Your contact email address and telephone number will NOT be published. However, if requested we will pass your contact details to the practitioner in question.