About Better Mental Health
I practice within the ethical framework of these bodies.
- I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist, and Accociate Fellow with British Psychological Society (AFBPsS), HPC Registered (Health Professions Council).
- Accredited Counsellor/psychotherapist with British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
How do I work?
As a Counselling Psychologist, I use an integration of therapy, research and practice to deliver a range of psychological therapies. My approach is integrative and is underpinned by person centred, placing emphases on the therapeutic relationship. The ‘model’ of therapy I use depends on the individual and presenting issues.
I work with in the following models/psychological therapies
- Person Centred
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Psychodynamic, helps clients to link past events with current emotions and feelings
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), helps clients to focus on their thoughts, feelings and behaviours, which, when disrupted can often lead to stress, depression, phobia, etc.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Processing), EMDR helps the brain to re-programme the way in which traumatic events is stored in the brain, therefore reducing the psychological impact of the trauma. EMDR is recommended therapy for trauma by the national institute for health and clinical excellence www.nice.org.uk
How long does counselling take?
- Sessions usually last 50 minutes and the number of sessions depends upon each individual’s needs.
What Problems Do I Work With?
- My area of specialism is addictions, both drug and alcohol. I believe that many people, who present with addictions, are using this as a ‘coping mechanism’ for underlying problems, such as depression, abuse, stress, etc. Therefore, I take a ‘dual approach’, this means working with the addiction and also the underlying issues.
I have experience in working with the following:
- self harm
- Addictions (drug/Alcohol)
- Other mental health problems, such as bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc.
- Abuse (sexual/physical/mental)
My training, work experience and any achievement
BSc Hons (Psy)
MSc Counselling Psychologist
Trinity College Dublin
Chartered Status with BPS
Register for Occupational Testing Level A with BPS
Accredited Counselling with BACP
Post Grad Dip
Counselling Child & Adolescents
Professional Certificate in CBT for Addictions
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Processing)
Certificate in Critical Incident Stress Management
(individual and groups)
Certificate ‘Introduction to Personality Disorders’
University of Lancaster
British Psychological Society
Supervisor for psychological wellbeing practationers (PWP)
I am currently completing a Top-up Doctorate at Glasgow Caledonian University.
’Help-seeking behaviour and self-harm’
I work in the health service and private practice. I am also on the register of supervisors for University of Ulster. I have experience working with both children and adults, also, Aspergers, Learning Disabilities and Personality Disorders
DPsych Candidate Glasgow Caledonian University.
Other concerns & issues I deal with
Concerns & issues I deal with
- Alcohol Dependence
- Anger Management
- Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD)
- Aspergers Syndrome
- Bipolar Disorder
- Childhood Issues
- Compulsive Behaviour
- Criminal Behaviour
- Dependent Personality Disorder (DPD)
- Drug Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Impulse Control Disorders (ICD)
- Impulsive Behaviour
- Low Self Confidence
- Low Self Esteem
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Mental Health Problems
- Midlife Crisis
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
- Panic Attacks
- Panic Disorder
- Paranoid Personality Disorder
- Personal Relationships
- Physical Abuse
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship Problems
- Schizoid Personality Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Sexual Abuse
- Social Phobia
- Stress Management
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Work Stress
- Emotional Abuse
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): £50.00/session
- Counselling: £50.00/session
- EMDR: £50.00/session
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT): £50.00/session
- Psychotherapy: £50.00/session
Write a Review of Ms. Barbara Lewis
Thank you for writing your review for this practitioner. Your review will be helpful to other users in choosing a practitioner.
Your contact email address and telephone number will NOT be published. However, if requested we will pass your contact details to the practitioner in question.